New routes for military personnel to become teachers
The government has launched Troops to Teachers - a new scheme designed to make it easier for highly-skilled former members of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force to become teachers.
Troops to Teachers will provide teacher training opportunities to service leavers - with significant extra benefits including salaries while training, bursaries and bespoke training.
There will be 2 routes:
- From September, service leavers with degrees will be able to enrol on teacher training programmes with additional bespoke training and £2,000 bursary uplifts.
- From January 2014, highly-skilled service leavers without degrees will be able to enrol on a 2-year, school-based, salaried training programme. These service leavers will be the only people able to start training as a teacher without a degree and be qualified within 2 years.
Those accepted on to courses will have gone through a rigorous selection process which will assess their skills, experience, technical or subject expertise and qualifications.
The programme is inspired by the successful US programme, T3. This showed that armed forces leavers can make outstanding teachers and role models, particularly in developing leadership skills and engaging disaffected students.
Education Minister David Laws said the scheme would help ex-servicemen and women, who had the potential to become great teachers, make the transition to the classroom.
He said: “Many members of our inspiring armed forces possess the skills and expertise relevant and transferable to the classroom – leadership, discipline, motivation and teamwork. Every child can benefit from having these values instilled in them."
- wigl – what is good leadership?
- wigt – what is good teaching?
- sandwell early numeracy test
- project-based learning resources
- creative teaching and learning
- school leadership and management
- every child
- professional development today
- learning spaces
- vulnerable children
- e-learning update
- leadership briefing
- manager's briefcase
- school business