New college of teaching announced
Plans to support the creation of a new, independent college of teaching that will help to put teachers on a par with other high-status professions like law and medicine, and a new fund to champion more high-quality professional development for teachers, have been announced by the government.
Education Secretary Nicky Morgan said: "We we will provide more teachers with access to the types of high-quality professional development opportunities that teachers and school leaders have told us they want and that will place the teaching profession in England on a par with the best in the world and ensure our children get the best possible education.”
Last month, the Education Secretary and the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, pledged to support the profession by tackling the issue of unnecessary and unproductive workload.
The new announced plans will:
- making significant funding available to the ‘claim your college’ consortium - a coalition of leading organisations in the education sector - to support them in their endeavour to establish an independent college of teaching, which will be owned and led by the teaching profession
- providing up to £5 million to establish the first phase of a new professional development fund - to support more high-quality, evidence-based and rigorously evaluated professional development programmes, delivered by the growing network of 650 leading teaching schools
- establishing an expert group to develop a new standard for teachers’ professional development, helping teachers to become better informed about the types of professional development that make a real difference - the group will be chaired by David Weston, Chief Executive of the Teacher Development Trust
- working with the sector to develop and deliver a new online professional development portal - allowing teachers to access and share properly evaluated and quality-assured evidence and research about the approaches to professional development that will deliver the most impact
- wigl – what is good leadership?
- wigt – what is good teaching?
- sandwell early numeracy test
- project-based learning resources
- creative teaching and learning
- school leadership and management
- every child
- professional development today
- learning spaces
- vulnerable children
- e-learning update
- leadership briefing
- manager's briefcase
- school business